Top 12 Alternatives to Veeam Backup for Data Protection
What is Veeam?
Veeam offers backup, recovery, and data security for all your critical workloads including cloud, virtual, and hybrid environments.
The solution is also designed to work on physical machines — especially those running Windows, Linux, or MacOs operating systems. It does this using ‘Veeam Agent’ which deploys backup agents remotely on each computer from the Veeam Backup & Replication console. In addition to this, Veeam offers ‘Continuous Data Protection’ (CDP)
Amongst its many features, Veeam’s deep integration with VMware and Hyper-V is one of its notable strengths. This integration allows businesses that utilize these virtualization platforms to easily manage, backup, and restore their virtual machines.
If Veeam is Good — Why Opt for An Alternative?
While Veeam is widely regarded as a reliable and robust solution, there are specific situations where someone might consider seeking alternatives:
Licensing and pricing costs.
- Veeam’s licensing might be pricey for small business or those with small budgets.
- For instance, customers on STD and ENT existing agreements complained of difficulty migrating to the new licensing model — and also an exuberant increase in price for the “Per VM” model.
Installation and setup.
- The installation of Veeam can be quite lengthy since it installs multiple services, agents, and the download size is considerably large
- Updates can be challenging to locate and download.
Difficulty upgrading to new versions.
- Upgrading between different server hardware requires hours of copying old backups — which can be time consuming.
- Scheduling maintenance windows to update agents is time-consuming
- The software’s interface is not intuitive enough and sometimes can be bulky and unresponsive.
- Multiple UIs are needed to backup different workloads.
- Agent-based architecture restricts performance.
- Process of backing up data takes an exceedingly long time — and worse, backup jobs constantly hang for no specific reason.
- Customers also complain that restore from S3 to EC2 takes a long time to process. This also goes for roll-backs.
- Backup processes are generally slow, including incremental backups.
- Mounting backup targets and removing snapshots are sluggish tasks.
Compatibility and integration.
- Limited integration with open-source NAS solutions.
- Insufficient support for physical servers, PCs, and environments without a domain server.
- Challenges in converting virtual image formats and handling physical backups.
- Some features like local backup, backup to FTP, and file copy are lacking or not as robust as competitors.
- There are occasional issues with refreshing old backups.
- Bandwidth throttling features and backup encryption features are inadequate.
- Additional features come at a high cost.
💡Pro Tip → Want a comprehensive protection for your entire data estate without the high costs and complexity? Get Started with HYCU — for free. 👈
1. HYCU — Modern Data Protection
HYCU is a modern data protection solution specifically designed for protection of hybrid and multi-cloud workloads across an entire data estate. Delivering data protection at lower costs, risk and complexity with deep integration with the Public Cloud, SaaS application protection and rapid recovery from cyber threats.
HYCU stands out as the only application-aware, modern data protection solution built solely for protection of an entire data estate, from on-premises to hybrid-cloud and SaaS.
This also includes support for applications such as Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Active Directory, and Oracle Database Microsoft SQL, as well as SaaS workloads such as M365, Okta, Salesforce, Jira, and Google Workspace.
HYCU isn't just another backup solution in the crowded marketplace; it has a laser-sharp focus on providing unmatched data protection for entire data estates. This emphasis ensures that businesses, regardless of their size or the complexity of their on-premises, hybrid-cloud and SaaS workloads, have a reliable shield against potential data loss from system failures, malicious or accidental deletion, and cyber threats such as ransomware or malware.
Compared to Veeam, HYCU offers advantages such as:
Automated, 100 Percent Application Focus
HYCU has a patented Application-Awareness technology, making it the industry's only automated application discovery solution that provides newfound visibility into VMs, pinpointing where each application is running. Operational efficiency is greatly improved, with automation, ensuring faster protection of business-critical applications with less risk of misconfiguration errors from manual application discovery. Another unique feature is our RTO assurance. Giving IT management and data owners peace of mind by proactively calculating restore times to accurately ensure RTOs are met without any manual guesswork.
Quick Deploy and Recovery Process
Deploying HYCU is extremely fast and uncomplicated due to modern architecture, requiring no agents, plugins, or proprietary hardware appliances. Combined with HYCU’s patented Application-Awareness technology, Public Cloud integration and AWS, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure marketplace availability, deploying HYCU is truly a breeze.
Since HYCU, an API-driven solution, is tightly integrated with vCenter, HYCU provides an automated application recovery of workflows/ tasks that takes minutes to implement (compared to days that current data protection solutions take).
In addition, customers looking to leverage Google Cloud, Azure or AWS for in-cloud or cross-platform DR can now use HYCU to seamlessly failover VMware workloads to and from the public cloud. HYCU eliminates the need to pay for compute and high-performance storage until you actually need to failover to Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
Zero-extra Licensing & Hardware
HYCU is an integrated package that runs as a service right on your VMware cluster, unlike the traditional legacy backup solutions (e.g., Veeam), there are no hidden additional Windows Server, Database and anti-virus licensing costs. And there are no professional services required. With HYCU, a pure software solution, you don’t need separate infrastructure to run your backup software and don’t require separate infrastructure for fast recovery.
Seamless Data Migration & Mobility
HYCU Protégé provides the ability to seamlessly lift and shift workloads between VMware and public cloud vendors in an application-consistent manner, including VMware workloads running on AWS, Azure and Google Cloud.
This can be done in a self-service fashion and enables customers to execute both on-demand and staged migrations to and from VMware.
Agentless by Design
Unlike Veeam that downloads multiple services during installation, HYCU is agentless — offering zero plugin installs or upgrades.
HYCU integrates with vCenter Server and ESXi hosts, offering efficient incremental backups enabled by Changed Block Tracking (CBT), granular recovery options, and application-consistent backups.
Not only does HYCU’s agentless architecture lower TCO, accelerate deployment and improve operational efficiency with no requirement for maintenance or upgrades, but risk is significantly lowered as agents rely on OS services that are known to lock up, causing backup and restores to fail. Agents also increase the attack surface for ransomware, further adding to a higher risk level.
Enhanced Backup Security and Legal Compliance
You can easily perform backups to WORM-enabled public cloud object storage such as AWS S3, Google's GCS and Azure Blob to protect from ransomware attacks. It also offers MFA, in-transit/at-rest encryption, network segmentation, multi-tenancy and black-box architecture with no back-door access.
And in terms of legal compliance, HYCU can perform legal hold, retaining backups beyond normal policy retention for legal requirements, and can also safeguard against malicious deletion.
Lastly, one of the standout advantages of using HYCU is its efficient data protection mechanism that doesn't rely on hardware deduplication devices. This alleviates the need for additional hardware investments, simplifying the deployment process and reducing complexity in the setup.
💡Pro Tip → HYCU now provides data protection support for VMware vSAN and Virtual Volumes (vVols), VMware vSphere 8, and NetApp ONTAP file share protection capability – giving you more bang for your buck, and without the complexity.
When it comes to backup solutions, Acronis stands as a formidable competitor to Veeam. With a suite of features tailored to meet the diverse needs of businesses and individuals, Acronis has positioned itself as a robust and comprehensive backup solution.
In addition, Acronis extends its coverage to virtual environments such as VMware and Hyper-V. This is particularly valuable for businesses utilizing virtualization technologies for their infrastructure.
Other key features include:
Cloud Backup for All Virtual Environments.
Acronis offers seamless integration with various cloud storage providers, allowing you to store your backups in remote data centers for added redundancy and disaster recovery readiness. This feature ensures that your critical data is safeguarded against local hardware failures or disasters.
VMware vSphere Backup
- Protection of vSphere environments using complete disk-image backup to eliminate the need for complex reinstallation in the event of host or VM failure.
- Near-instant recovery (15 seconds RTO) of your vSphere VMs and ESX(i) hosts to bare metal, even on dissimilar hardware.
Microsoft Hyper-V Backup
- Easy migration and recovery of Hyper-V server to any system — including new, bare metal, or dissimilar hardware.
- In the event of a disaster, you can run your Hyper-V backup as a VM.
Other supported virtual machines include Citrix XenServer, Linux KVM, Oracle VM, and RHV VM.
Integrated Data Protection
Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud provides integrated, proactive anti-malware, ransomware, and crytojacking protection of all endpoints and workloads— all of which are not available on Veeam.
In addition to this, Acronis provides a fast, full image, file level, and Continuous Data Protection (CDP) backup and recovery across Windows, Linux, Mac, mobile, and a wide variety of storage clouds, virtual machines, databases, and collaboration environments.
Simple and Flexible Pricing
Veeam's additional charges for anti-malware, workload, cloud storage, and other essential features can strain the budgets of small businesses, service providers, and large-scale enterprises, making its continued use challenging.
On the other hand, Acronis delivers a unified platform, modern console, and agent to fill Veeam’s costly gaps. This flexible pricing model enhances profitability for MSPs. This way, instead of grappling with rising technological costs and the complexities of diverse setups, MSPs can leverage cost savings and provide an expanded range of services at more competitive rates.
Data Deduplication in Acronis Backup Advanced (powered by the Acronis AnyData Engine.) helps reduce storage costs and network bandwidth by eliminating duplicate data blocks when you backup and transfer data. This not only conserves storage space but also speeds up backup processes, as only unique data chunks are stored.
Also, by eliminating redundant data, the potential attack surface for ransomware is reduced. Attackers often target redundant or unchanged data, but deduplication minimizes the number of potential targets.
Rubrik, the Zero Trust Data Security solution company, simplifies backup and recovery for hybrid environments. The solution eliminates the complexity in legacy backup by integrating data orchestration, catalog management, and CDP (continuous data protection) into a single software platform.
With this approach, enterprises can implement long-term data retention or DR and utilize automation to its full scale via an API-first software platform. Plus, Rubrik also supports leading operating systems, databases, hypervisors, clouds, and SaaS applications.
In addition, Rubrik offers a comprehensive suite of products under its Security Cloud platform, designed to provide robust data security solutions. The platform offers features such as data resilience, data observability, and data remediation.
Data Resilience. Protects data from insider threats or ransomware with air-gapped, immutable, access-controlled backups. This includes:
- Enterprise Data Protection
- Cloud Data Protection
- SaaS Data Protection
Data Observability. Continuously monitor and remediate data risks, including ransomware, sensitive data exposure, and indicators of compromise. Features include:
- User Access Analysis
- Sensitive Data Monitoring & Management
- Anomaly Detection
- Threat Monitoring
- Threat Hunting
Data Remediation. Enables fast recovery of apps, files, or users while avoiding malware reinfection. This encompasses:
- Threat Containment
- Mass Recovery
- Cyber Recovery
Here’s why Rubrik is a good alternative to Veeam:
Immutable by Design
Rubrik runs on a native immutable, append-only file system that is immutable at the time the cluster is created. This data is further secured with FIPS-certified hardware or software-based encryption. All of which is encrypted at-rest and in-flight, whether it is on-premises or in the cloud.
This also features:
- Logical Air Gap to prevent access via standard network protocols.
- Zero-Trust Retention Lock (ZTRL) to Prevent anyone from removing or resetting retention policies.
- Role-Based Access Controls (RBAC) at every level to prevent unauthorized account access. This is further combined with a Two-Person Rule (TPR) for administrative actions.
Simplified Data Protection, Recovery and Backup
- Rubrik helps you deliver near-zero Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) to radically accelerate data access from backup storage and minimize enterprise data loss.
- Rubrik enables a continuous stream of recovery points to minimize data loss in the event of a failure or ransomware attack. Plus using the Ransomware ‘Investigation and Data Classification’ feature, you can quickly identify your blast radius and what data was exposed.
- In addition, Rubrik has no Windows dependencies and stores backups in a proprietary format on hyperconverged storage.
- You can quickly locate VMs, physical databases, applications, or files with predictive search, whether the primary data resides on-premises or in the cloud. With this, you can restore all your files into a live system without any downtime.
- Backup expiration is based on Monotonic Clock which prevents NTP changes or poisoning from expiring backups.
In addition, Rubrik has a dedicated task force called Rubrik Ransomware Response Team (RRT) that operates virtually and is available 24/7/365 to help you out in case of a Ransomware Attack.
Support for Various Workloads and Integrations
Rubrik supports AD/LDAP integration as well as SSO via SAML, 2FA, and Native TOTP for user authentication.
It also extends support for AWS (EC2, EBS snapshot, and cloud), Microsoft Azure, Microsoft 365 (Exchange Online, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams), and Google Cloud
Automatic SQL Server Backup
Rubrik manages all SQL Server systems — whether on premises, or in the Azure cloud — all in one place.
With this, you can:
- Auto discover all instances, databases, and clusters on each SQL Server.
- Assign SLA policies to the SQL Server and have all instances and databases inherit the policy. Additionally, different policies can be made on the servier, instance, and database levels.
- Use incremental-forever backups to reduce storage requirements. Compared to differential backups, incremental forever backups need only one full backup.
Hate vendor ‘lock in’? We do too!
Avoid lock in without the need to commit to proprietary hardware appliances.
Eliminate costly, upfront payments that lock you in with pay-as-you-go pricing.
Try HYCU — for free. 👈
4. Druva InSync — Cloud-Native Data Protection and Backup
Druva InSync is a SaaS-based backup solution for backup environments. It provides a centralized platform for data protection, management, and governance across endpoints and SaaS applications (Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, and Salesforce) at scale — even if it is complex, distributed, and fluid.
Data protection for SaaS applications
The Druva inSync SaaS platform offers extensive protection for data, minimizing the potential for data loss due to accidental or intentional deletion. This extends as well to ransomware attacks across a variety of SaaS workloads, including Microsoft 365, G Suite, Salesforce, and Slack. This is accomplished through automated and centrally managed backup procedures, accompanied by versatile recovery choices.
Druva’s solution for safeguarding SaaS data offers the same advantages inherent in cloud usage that prompted your selection of a SaaS application, including the ability to scale within the cloud, cost-effectiveness, and nimbleness.
It also includes features like:
- Customer-only access to customer data
- 256-bit AES encryption for data at rest
- TLS 1.2 encryption for data in transit.
- 50% TCO
Endpoint Data Protection
Druva InSync aids instant backup and recovery of data on devices of end users. This is to mitigate data loss and intellectual property theft. These backups run in the background with no disruption to the end-user devices.
In addition to this, InSync gives you bulk and granular recovery options that can be centrally managed by your IT department or completely delegated to end-users through an easy-to-use self-service experience. This ensures business continuity irrespective of accidental or malicious data loss and ransomware attacks. Infact, in a case of theft, data can be remotely wiped even without an internet connection, proactively preventing theft of proprietary or confidential information.
Some endpoint features include:
- Fast and simple OS migration / device refresh
- Integrated mass deployment for endpoints
- MDM Integration: MobileIron, VMware AirWatch, IBM MaaS360
- Single sign-on support (SAML, ADFS)
- Optional CloudCache support
Druva defines its patented approach to data deduplication by leveraging DynamoDB and RDS.
- DynamoDB helps run the looks up, store the file and also deduplication metadata.
- Then RDS stores all the configuration data such as disaster recovery plans, VPCs, subnet, etc.
It makes this work through deduplicating on the client side (or source) by chunking files, database dumps, etc into a slice of data that is run through SHA1 to create a hash.
Next, a comparison is performed in the hash table to determine if this specific chunk is unique or not unique.
If the hash is unique, the data chunk is sent to Amazon’s Simple Storage Service (S3) and stored as an individual object. Meanwhile, if the hash is not unique, the hash table is updated
By doing this, Druva helps businesses:
- Eliminate management challenges and manual decisions to migrate data when organizations start scaling.
- Create faster backup and restores with less data being transmitted across the network (64K or 1 Mbyte chunks equal smaller dedupe index).
5. MSP360 (formerly CloudBerry): Hybrid Cloud Backup and Recovery
MSP360, formerly known as CloudBerry Lab, is a renowned and comprehensive cloud backup and disaster recovery solution designed specifically for Managed Service Providers (MSPs) and IT departments. With its cross-platform capabilities, MSP360 seamlessly caters to a range of operating systems including Windows, Linux, and macOS. In addition, it offers flexible pricing with monthly or annual subscription — which is suitable for small businesses with no upfront investment or contract.
Moreover, it offers dedicated support for major virtual environments like VMware and Hyper-V. Recognizing the evolving needs of modern businesses, MSP360 has expertly integrated its platform with leading cloud storage providers such as Amazon AWS, Wasabi, Backblaze B2, and Microsoft Azure. This ensures that users can enjoy top-tier data protection. Additionally, for businesses that rely heavily on productivity suites, MSP360 extends its backup capabilities to both Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace, offering peace of mind and robust data security.
- Single pane of glass. Ability to monitor and manage all backup and restore jobs, users, endpoints, and storage from a single web console.
- Unified billing with AWS. $0.023/GB/month with no additional cost.
- File and image-based backup. This covers immutability, deduplications, automated restore verification, data compression and retention, and GFS retention policy.
- Virtual machine backup. Support for Hyper-V cluster and quick restores of VMs to Amazon EC2 and MS Azure VM.
- Data security. Multi-factor authentication, custom passwords to restrict access to the backed-up data, IP-allowlisting, immutable backups, SSL-encrypted connections.
- MS SQL Server Backup. Flexible selection of databases for backup, direct database restore to MS SQL server (.mdf, .ldf), and point-in-time restore.
Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM)
MSP360 RMM is a simple and cost-efficient solution that helps you take a proactive approach to monitoring and administering the systems you manage.
- Script library. Access to execute predefined PowerShell and Bash scripts — or from personal scripts.
- SNMP monitoring. You can scan and list devices on a local network using SNMP V1, SNMP V2, or SNMP V3 protocols. You can also set up alerts for your SNMP devices to be aware if there are any issues.
- Fully automated patch management. View available updates and install them in bulk on target endpoints. Also, you can configure a flexible Windows update policy for computers in your environment.
- Alerting & reporting. Monitor the health of your systems with customizable alerts based on system performance. Receive real-time push notifications directly to your mobile device.
MSP360 also offers an additional feature called “Connect” (formerly Remote Desktop) — and it’s a fast and secure remote access solution that enables remote support, help desk assistance, remote work, and more. You can use this feature to control Windows devices from any operating system at any time.
6. Bacula Systems
Bacula Systems is an open-source solution that provides enterprise data backup and recovery solutions for data centers, catering to in physical, virtual, container, and cloud environments.
One of Bacula’s core offerings is the “VM Performance Backup Suite” that makes backup and replication possible for hypervisors environments of any size. For instance, the VMware plugin allows you to backup the vSphere system when combined with the Bacula Enterprise Edition plugin. The VMware plugin can work either over a SAN or via Network Block Device.
In addition to this, the VMware plugin integrates the VMwares Changed Block Tracking (CBT) technology to ensure only blocks that have changed since the initial Full, and/or the last Incremental or Differential backup are sent to the current Incremental or Differential backup stream, to give more efficient backups and reduced network load.
There are also additional plugins like the KVM plugin, Hyper-V plugin, Xen plugin, and deduplication plugin.
Other features include:
Linux-based Security Systems
Bacula’s critical components run on Linux — making it extremely secure with multiple layers of encryption embedded in the system.
- Automatic use of TLS for all network communications.
- Data encryption cipher (AES 128, AES192, AES256 or blowfish) and the
- digest algorithm.
- Verification of files previously cataloged, permitting a Tripwire-like capability
- (system break-in detection).
- Computation of MD5 or SHA1 signatures of the file data if requested.
- ‘bconsole’ option to connect to an Active Directory or LDAP server in order
- to protect its access
Bacula Systems integrates its Global Endpoint Deduplication™ within Bacula Enterprise. This advanced enterprise-level backup technology allows you to implement it either on the client side (file daemon) to conserve network and storage assets or at the storage tier, depending on your data management preferences. This offers you the advantages of both global and endpoint deduplication.
There’s also an option for cloud or on-premises environments using the In-Cloud Deduplication feature.
Native Hybrid Cloud Integration
Bacula Enterprise provides native integration with public and private clouds, specifically through interfaces like Azure, Amazon S3, Glacier, Oracle Cloud, and Google Cloud. This includes transparent support for S3-IA (S3 Infrequent Access). Also, the S3 backup solution is available for various platforms, including Linux and Windows.
Another thing here is, you can back up and recover Azure VM’s (including the data and apps within them) all entirely within the Cloud.
The main features are:
- Block level image backup, based on online Snapshot of any guest VM.
- Full Backups
- Ability to restore complete virtual machine image
Plus, with Bacula, you can choose between two possible approaches:
- guest backup with File Daemon install or image-level backup with Bacula’s Azure VM module.
Commvault is one of the leading enterprise data protection and information management solutions. While it began as a backup software vendor, Commvault has evolved into a comprehensive platform covering a broad array of data management functionalities.
- Holistic Data Protection. Commvault provides comprehensive data protection across on-premises, hybrid, and cloud environments. It protects data wherever it lives, including virtual machines, physical servers, applications, databases, and endpoints.
- Cloud Integration. Commvault boasts deep integration with major cloud providers like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. This includes capabilities such as cloud backups, cloud disaster recovery, and even multi-cloud data management.
- Virtual Machine Backup. Commvault excels in the protection of virtual environments, offering support for VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and other hypervisors. It ensures that VMs can be quickly restored or even instantly live-mounted for swift recovery.
- Ransomware Protection. Commvault has embedded features like anomaly detection, which can trigger alerts for suspicious activities, and air-gapped backups, which remain isolated from potentially compromised networks.
- Data Migration. Commvault provides tools to seamlessly migrate data between different storages, hypervisors, or even cloud providers. This ensures flexibility in infrastructure decision-making without data lock-in.
Cohesity is a modern data management platform, designed to address the challenges of data fragmentation across various silos in enterprise environments. It offers a consolidated platform that simplifies backup, recovery, file and object services, cloud archival, and more.
- Unified Data Protection. Cohesity offers backup and recovery for a wide variety of workloads, including virtual machines, databases, physical servers, and SaaS applications like Office 365.
- Cloud Integration. Cohesity has native integration with major cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. This allows for seamless cloud archival, tiering, and even cloud-native backup and recovery operations.
- Global Deduplication and Compression. To optimize storage efficiency, Cohesity uses global variable-length deduplication and compression across the entirety of the data, irrespective of the workload type.
- Ransomware Defense. Cohesity offers features to counter ransomware threats, such as data lock (WORM), anomaly detection, multi-factor authentication (MFA), and more. Moreover, its immutable file system ensures that backup data cannot be modified, deleted, or encrypted by ransomware.
- Test/Dev and Analytics Workloads. The platform allows users to instantly clone backup datasets for test/dev, analytics, or other secondary workflows, making the most of stored data.
9. Carbonite (by OpenText)
Carbonite Server Backup offers comprehensive, reliable and proven server protection and support for over 200 operating systems, platforms and applications including physical, virtual and legacy systems.
Deployed onsite, Carbonite stores copies both on-site and in a secure Carbonite cloud. The software cloud service and optional onsite hardware are all fully integrated and backed by the award-winning Carbonite support team.
- Cloud failover option to help business avoid costly downtime.
- Rapid VM restore to recover a failed VM or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Advanced backup capabilities support immutable and hourly backups for select jobs (Windows, SaaS configurations).
It also comes with advanced management features like tag-based backup job creation and automatic verification reports help simplify and minimize operational costs. Plus, you can easily create application-consistent backups for Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange and SharePoint with the option to truncate transaction logs after a successful backup.
10. IDrive Server Cloud Backup
IDrive offers a comprehensive solution for protecting servers by backing them up to the cloud.
- MS SQL Server. Backup all databases or schedule backups using embedded MS SQL Server capabilities.
- MS Exchange Server. Backup your email server by storing all emails on the cloud and recover lost/deleted emails without business interruptions.
- VMware Server. Protect multiple virtual machines with full/incremental backups and enhanced security features.
- Hyper-V. Backup the entire Hyper-V environment with features like single-step backup and instant restore.
- Microsoft 365. Backup individual and multiple Microsoft 365 Exchange mailboxes to the cloud with incremental backup support.
- Oracle Server. Securely backup Oracle servers, including running databases.
- Linux Server. Protect Linux server data with scriptable and customizable online backup solutions.
- VMware Server. Protect multiple virtual machines using full / incremental backups. Enhance security with 256-bit AES encryption on transfer and storage and a user-defined key — not stored by IDrive.
Asigra Tigris offers a modern approach to backup, allowing users to defend against ransomware and data loss efficiently and cost-effectively. It provides the freedom to choose between local or cloud storage options.
- Supports SAN, NAS, or DAS from any major storage vendor, offering a truly storage-agnostic backup solution.
- Offers flexibility in cloud deployment models, including public, private, and hybrid cloud solutions.
- Provides TrueNAS Appliances that are preconfigured and ready-to-go, ensuring quick deployment and protection.
- Users can benefit from an easy-to-deploy virtual appliance in the cloud with a pay-as-you-use model, powered by Zadara’s Storage-as-a-Service.
- The solution can automatically manage non-critical data, migrating it to cost-effective storage modes for compliance and archival purposes.
NAKIVO offers an enterprise backup software solution that helps protect thousands of virtual and physical machines across different geographical locations. It offers a comprehensive backup, replication, monitoring, and disaster recovery solution in various environments, including hybrid, virtual, and cloud.
Solutions offered include:
- Backup, replication, and Site Recovery for platforms like VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Nutanix AHV.
- Solutions for Amazon EC2, including backup, replication, and Site Recovery.
- Backup and recovery solutions for both Windows and Linux physical servers and workstations.
- Backup and recovery for data on NAS devices and network shares over CIFS/NFS.
- Backup solutions for Microsoft 365 data, including Teams, Exchange Online, OneDrive for Business, and SharePoint Online.
- Backup for Oracle Database via RMAN.
Deciding the Right Veeam Alternative For You
Selecting a backup solution shouldn’t be a one-size-fits-all approach. Some businesses might require a more straightforward, plug-and-play solution, while others could be searching for highly customizable features.
Ideally, any business looking to opt for a Veeam alternative must take into account the solution’s functionality, pricing (inc TCO), scalability, and compatibility.
Different businesses have varied data structures, workloads, and recovery objectives.
For some, the ability to store backups in the cloud might be a necessity given the decentralized nature of their operations. Others might prioritize instant recovery to minimize downtime during a data breach or failure.
Meanwhile, automated testing could be a must-have for those wanting to routinely verify the integrity of their backups without manual intervention. In essence, the functionality should sync with what the business sees as vital for its operations.
Protecting and recovering data across an entire data estate is also crucial for an organization's success. As organization's business strategies shift to adapt to the ever evolving market, the need for protection and recovery of cloud-based workloads and SaaS will become more apparent. Having a single data protection solution with the breadth and depth of workload support is critical in this success.
While it's tempting to think that the most expensive solution is the best, it's essential to ensure you're not overpaying for features you don’t need.
Conversely, going for the cheapest option could mean missing out on critical functionalities. Striking a balance between cost and feature set ensures that you get the most bang for your buck.
It's also worth considering the long-term costs, like licensing fees, storage costs, or any other additional charges that might arise.
As businesses expand, so does the volume of data they produce and manage. A backup solution must be able to grow with the company. This means not just handling increased data but also potentially more complex data structures, diverse data types, and increased recovery demands. Investing in a scalable solution today can save significant time, effort, and money in the future.
Businesses operate in diverse IT environments. Some might be entrenched in legacy systems, while others could be on the cutting edge of technology. The backup solution should seamlessly fit into this environment.
If a business is deeply integrated with a specific cloud provider or uses a particular software stack, the backup solution should accommodate this without necessitating significant overhauls or workarounds. Incompatibility can lead to inefficiencies, potential data loss, and increased costs in trying to make disparate systems work together.
HYCU — The Ideal Veeam Alternative
HYCU provides a comprehensive data protection, data migration and DR solution specifically built from the ground up with service providers in mind.
With built-in Self-Service, Multi- Tenancy and Role-Based Access Control, HYCU can enable service providers to efficiently host multiple customers in both shared and segregated environments.
Multi-tenant Data Protection
HYCU provides secure, native, application-consistent backup and recovery for each backup source supported, with multi-tenancy built-in from day one. With built-in compliance to tenant SLAs, tight platform integration, and 1-click simplicity, HYCU enables you to quickly and easily deliver Data Protection as a Service to hosted tenants.
Multi-tenant Data Mobility
HYCU can seamlessly lift and shift production workloads across hybrid and multi-cloud environments enabling both self-service, on-demand and staged migrations. Hosted tenants can perform application-consistent migrations from on-premises to public cloud, between different public clouds, or within a single public cloud, to enable true hybrid and multi-cloud mobility.
Multi-tenant Disaster Recovery
Tenants can DR from on-premises to public cloud or between different regions of public cloud or between different public clouds. With smooth failover and failback capabilities, tenants don’t have to pay for compute and high performance storage until DR is required.